Sunday, October 28, 2007

Subtractions (Everyone Tells Me I'm Close Minded)

I always thought what other people thought of me didn't matter. I guess I can still say the same, but now I've run into a different sort of problem.

I feel that getting involved with two wonderfully caring and devoted people has really added to my life significantly. I've never really been one to adhere to social norms, so if you don't like it, I really don't care. That's been my attitude and why should I change it to make others happy?


<"Don't worry about what I listen to, worry about your own life.">
<"Cause I'm not gonna change for you or anyone."
>

So far I've been lucky. No one's voiced how "displeased" they are with what I do with others in my bed, or told me I'm a horrible person for loving two people(OH MY GOD!!!). But like I said...I've been lucky. Maybe I have forgiving friends & family (they'd better be after all their shit!), maybe they all just know me well enough (how long has it been? since I was twelve?), or maybe no one really cares. The point is this - I haven't gotten any flak.

The same cannot be said for either of my significant others. What about how people feel about them? All I've done is added to my life while they may potentially have to subtract. Sure, I don't care what's thought of me...but what about the people they stand to lose? What about the phone calls not being returned and the stupid goodbye emails? Is this my fault? No. And I know that. But does that make it any better? No, of course not. I know it's not my fault she's lost a good friend, but that doesn't make it easier. It doesn't keep tears away or help comfort her.

It just makes me angry. I wish I could tell her not to let it bother her, that if this person was a true friend they would accept her choice of lifestyle. But it seems so heartless. I have nothing but contempt for narrow minded people. If there's one thing in this world that I can't stand it's people who are intolerant of other people's cultures...that and the Dutch.

Moral of this story - Don't take any guff from those fucking swine.